Before You Go to School
Before you decide to expand your education, make sure to review this “to do” list. It can help you keep track of the things you need to accomplish as you go through the process of applying. Decide on a start and end date for each task you need to get done, and check off each task as you complete it. Here are some suggestions for your list:
- Make a list of the schools you are interested in.
- Request information and applications for admission from those schools. Ask about admissions requirements, financial aid, and deadlines. (Note: You can find schools and request free information by filling out the form to the right.)
- If you haven’t already done so, research the schools you are most interested in and talk with students, professors, and advisors or admission reps at those schools.
- Take any tests required for admission to the colleges to which you are applying. If you have difficulty paying the registration fee, research fee waivers. Testing fee waivers are sometimes available for those who qualify.
- When you complete your admissions applications, make sure you follow all instructions carefully and pay particular attention to application deadlines. At least two weeks before the application deadline, ask your schools and references to submit any necessary documents to the college (such as grade transcripts or letters of recommendation).
- Make sure the admissions offices at all schools to which you applied have received your application materials and that they have received everything they need from you.
- Complete any necessary applications for financial assistance (such as the FAFSA and the appropriate state aid applications) before the deadlines. Before beginning this application process, make sure you and your parents have completed the necessary income tax forms. Note that not everyone who applies will qualifies for financial aid.
- Contact the financial aid offices at the schools to which you have applied to make sure those schools have everything they need from you.
- Keep copies of each document you submit so you have records for your files.
Fill Out the Form Above to Learn About Degrees